For many years, the standard for preventative dentistry recommended fluoride treatments for all children twice annually. This therapeutic treatment of topically applied fluoride was shown to dramatically prevent tooth decay. Newer studies have shown that the benefits of fluoride are not limited to children. We provide adults with a fluoride treatment specifically formulated for adult teeth.
- Reduce or eliminate dental sensitivity caused by worn enamel
- Reduce dental decay caused by dry mouth associated with most medications including those for blood pressure
- Extend the lifespan of crowns, bridges, and fillings by strengthening the junction between the restoration and the natural tooth
- Reduce the risk of root decay where there are receded gums
- Maintain the integrity of older dental work by preventing “recurrent” decay
- Strengthen enamel compromised by grinding or from acid reflux
- Strengthen demineralized enamel caused by drinking acidic soft drinks, sport beverages, etc.
- Lessen the decay risk of those suffering from “dry mouth” – Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Save money! The cost of fluoride is less than most dental plan co-pays
Fluoride varnish is an optional treatment that hardens the teeth and makes them more resistant to decay. You should receive fluoride treatments if you have experienced any of the following:
- Frequent tooth decay
- Gum recession with exposed tooth root (roots are more vulnerable to decay)
- Sensitive teeth
- Dry Mouth (a lack of normal saliva that makes teeth more suscpetible to decay
- Infrequent brushing and flossing
- Frequent consumption of soda and other acidic drinks
- Crowns or multiple fillings (the edges of crowns and fillings are more vulnerable to decay)
- Active orthodontic treatment (brackets trap more placque)
- Developmental defects in teeth
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- Treatments for gum disease or gingival surgery
Next time you’re in for your regular professional cleaning and exam, ask your hygeinist about fluoride! Your teeth will thank you later.